My family and I want to make sure our lives do not harm our delicate environment anymore than it needs to. We recycle, limit our trips and buy second hand as much as possible. Buying and remodeling an older manufactured home is a great way for us to reach this goal, as well as practice less materialism and save money. We also want our home to be safe and clean without using harsh chemicals. Here’s a few great green cleaning methods.
We can all make small changes in your living routines to help our environment without spending a lot of money. Practicing earth friendly living is not as hard as it used to be. A decade ago you couldn’t find basic living items like detergent, cleaners or soap that was environmentally safe in the stores. Today, they are everywhere but you do not need to buy them if you know basic chemistry.
You do not have to spend more money to be environmentally friendly. Yes, most products labeled ‘organic or earth friendly’ are usually more expensive in the stores. That’s the work of marketing though and nothing more. There’s a higher worth attached to a product that eases your conscience and those that haven’t researched will pay more. With a little knowledge and forethought you can actually save money and help mother earth! Here’s a few ideas:
- Vinegar is perfect for cleaning, deodorizing and a great disinfectant. Water and vinegar is a great window and glass cleaner. It’s also natural fabric softener.
- Baking soda is a terrific freshener and cleaner. It naturally absorbs odor. A paste made of water and baking soda removes mold and mildew. Imagine what it else it kills!
- Lemon juices dissolves soap scum and hard water stains. It’s great for copper bottom pots. It’s a natural degreaser and it can act as a natural bleach too (with the help of sunlight)!
- Ketchup is perfect for silver polishing.
- Hydrogen Peroxide is also a perfect disinfectant and is great to remove blood stains.
There’s another aspect of cleaning that most don’t think of; professional deep cleaning. Our carpets, mattresses and upholstery needs deep cleaning at least once a year. It makes the products last longer and if you have animals, it’s an absolute must (especially 2 dogs and a cat). There’s nothing better than knowing that a years worth of dirt and bacteria is gone from your home.
You can use all the natural products you want but if you bring a carpet or mattress cleaner into your home to deep clean with harsh chemicals you are negating all the environmentally positive steps you’ve taken. Thankfully, the industry knows this and has started using safe, organic solutions. There’s one company that performs rug cleaning in the NYC area that has a very informative website and great prices too.
You can have a thoroughly clean home and still be environmentally safe. It really doesn’t take expensive products and services to do it either!